Songwriting with Taja Cheek
Songwriting with Taja Cheek
Join us for our next songwriting workshop, led by Taja Cheek (L’Rain). We’ll discuss topics including:
- using field recordings as a starting place for songwriting
- structuring songs by collaging disparate musical ideas
- discovering songwriting motifs through improvisation and ‘mistakes’
- creating layered vocal arrangements
- building and nurturing collaborative relationships
You'll write 5 original songs using the techniques and perspectives Taja presents in lecture.
Sign up now! Deadline is Saturday, September 02 at 11:59pm (PT).
Here's how it works:
- Workshop is taught over Zoom. We’ll meet on Sundays and Thursdays for 5 total sessions: September 3rd, 7th, 10th, 14th and 17th.
- There are 2 options for class times: 11:00a-12:15p and 6:00p-7:15p PT.
- Class time is broken up into song-shares (breakout rooms) and lecture with Taja.
- If you can't make class, you can still participate by watching the recordings of lecture (sent out after class).
Sign up with a friend to receive a 20% discount by clicking here. Note: no refunds on discounted order.
Here's a few words from Taja about the course:
“ The songs that mean the most to me often highlight musicians’ unique approaches to songwriting; the more musicians emphasize the idiosyncrasies of their songwriting, the more excited I am to listen to their music. By exploring key distinctive elements of my usual writing processes, I hope that each of you will pick up useful tools to further develop your own individual voice as an artist.
Songwriting is a darkly mysterious and deeply personal process for me. It is rare for me to step outside of myself and take a detailed look into the mechanics and logistics of my intuitive songwriting processes, and I am so excited about the opportunity to share these intimate elements of my artistic practice with all of you. I sincerely hope you’ll join me in September. Thank you in advance for your interest and trust–I can’t wait to meet you and get started! " - Taja Cheek
- Q: What musical experience should I have?
- A: People across all musical levels will be able to gain something from the course. However, it will be helpful to be comfortable playing a few basic chords on any instrument of your choice.
- Q: What if I’ve never written a song before? Can I still participate in this workshop?
- A: Yes! As with any new skill, just starting is usually the hardest part. This workshop will provide the structure and accountability we all need to get started and follow through, for beginners and old guard writers alike.
- Q: Will Taja give me feedback on my songs?
- A: Due to the class size, we cannot guarantee that you’ll get Taja's feedback on your songs. However, our teachers are active on our song sharing platform and may leave comments on students’ submissions.
- Q: I can't make the lecture times for some (or all) of the classes. Can I still participate?
- A: Yes! We send out the recordings of lecture at the end of each class day, so you can watch the lectures on your own time.
If after the first class you feel the course is not a good fit for any reason, you are welcome to a refund on the rest of the course classes. We are unable to process refunds after the second class.
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.